The Cades Cove Primitive Baptist Church was established in 1827. It was originally a log building until the current structure was built in 1887.
A rift eventually developed between members of the church over biblical interpretation. Some believed the Bible called for missionary work while others felt it didn’t. In 1841 the members re-named their church to distinguish it from other Baptists with differing beliefs. It was then that it became known as the Cades Cove Primitive Baptist Church.
During the Civil War the church closed due to the divided loyalties of the population in Cades Cove. The Primitive Baptist church members were loyal to the Union but Southern sentiment was also very strong in the Cove.
A cemetery behind the church is the final resting place for many of the early church members and other settlers from the Cove.